Entering your dependants into TurboTax is simple. TurboTax does all the calculations for you, so all you need to do is enter the names, birth dates & social insurance numbers (if applicable) and TurboTax will walk you through claiming all of your eligible dependant credits step-by-step, including any amounts for disability, child care expenses and tuition.
To enter dependants in the EasyStep Interview, do the following:
- At the top of the screen, select the Intro tab.
- Continue through the Intro section until you get to the Dependants screen.
- Answer Yes to the question “Do you have dependant(s)?” and click Continue.
- Enter your dependant’s personal information. First and last names, date of birth, the dependant’s relationship to you, and whether or not the dependant lived with you are all mandatory fields and must be filled in. You may leave the other fields blank if you prefer.
- When you’ve finished entering the dependant’s information, click Continue.
- To enter another dependant, click Enter New Dependant. If you are finished entering dependants, click Done with Dependants.
Note: You cannot claim your spouse or common-law partner as a dependant, even if he or she has no income.
For information about who qualifies as a dependant, click the Help button at the top right of your screen.